bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Year of Gardens - Day 3

Do you know the Lenten Rose - Hellebores x hybrids? I have 5 varieties and this one continues to impress me. This is Ivory Prince hellebore and it started blooming about 2 weeks ago (for Christmas!) and has blooms that face up rather than hang down like many of the other varieties.

 The foliage is the most consistent evergreen of my varieties.
 Look how this stands out among the other winter branches in my garden today.
 Hellebores like shade, bloom for around 3 months, once established are quite drought tolerant, get about 2' high and 2' wide, and can live for decades. They also have a wide growing zone - zone 2-10.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Diana said...

Love this one. I have a small collection of them as well and am amazed that they grow in such cold climates and still survive here in Central Texas. My fave is 'Phoebe,' who is a star in my winter garden - I've posted about her quite a bit. Hope you and yours have a peaceful New Year.

 
At January 4, 2016 at 7:15 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

HI Diana, I'll have to check out the 'Phoebe' hellebore. It's been funny watching how you folks in central Texas have had all the winter weather so far while we've been so unusually warm in Tennessee. How did 'Phoebe' handle your ice and snow these past few weeks?

 
At January 4, 2016 at 10:03 PM , Anonymous Caroline said...

Simply gorgeous. I wish I had better luck with them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home